Nags Head, N.C. (February 4, 2015) – Kitty Hawk Kites is pleased to announce its 2015 event schedule, featuring more than 15 events on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, as well as a pair of kite festivals on Florida’s Emerald Coast.
Currently celebrating its 40th anniversary, Kitty Hawk Kites has long been a leader in hosting events on the Outer Banks, with annual festivals covering the spectrum of celebrations – from kites, hang gliding and paddleboarding to watermelon and pirates.
“We take great pride in hosting a wide variety of events each year for our community of locals and visitors to enjoy,” said John Harris, Kitty Hawk Kites founder and president. “For the past 40 years, our company has been teaching the world to fly in many ways and our events are an extension of that, crafted with a family-friendly, welcoming approach that allows for discovery and fun.”
Kitty Hawk Kites – 2015 Event Schedule:
For complete details on the following events, visit http://kittyhawk.com/events.
Fly into Spring / Easter EGGstravaganza
Friday, Apr. 3 – Saturday, Apr. 4 – Jockey’s Ridge Crossing, Nags Head, NC
* This Easter weekend, Kitty Hawk Kites will launch several massive 25-to-100-foot show kites over Jockey’s Ridge State Park, offer the opportunity to take a photo with the Easter Bunny, and host an Easter Egg Hunt not to be missed! FREE to the public.
Fly into Spring
Saturday, Apr. 4 – Sunday, Apr. 5 – The Boardwalk on Okaloosa Island, FWB, FL
* Celebrate Easter weekend and say hello to spring with Kitty Hawk Kites and the Emerald Coast Kitefliers Club. This high-flying two-day event features 25-to-100-foot show kites, professional stunt kite flying, demonstrations and lessons, and a family fun fly that is perfect for kite enthusiasts of all ages. FREE to the public
43rd Annual Hang Gliding Spectacular
Friday, May 15 – Monday, May 18 – Jockey’s Ridge State Park, Nags Head, NC
* Pilots from around the globe are invited to participate in one of the world’s largest hang gliding events, featuring four days of world-class hang gliding competition from atop the largest natural sand dune on the East Coast. There is an entry fee for pilots, but FREE to the public to watch the competition.
33rd Annual Rogallo Kite Festival
Friday, June 5 – Sunday, June 7 – Jockey’s Ridge State Park, Nags Head, NC
* Celebrate the achievements of Francis Rogallo by joining Kitty Hawk Kites and friends for a weekend of kite flying, free stunt kite lessons, kite making for the kids and more! Rogallo’s invention of the flexible wing lifted the sport of hang gliding off the ground and his designs have carried over into the stunt kites, power kites, and hang gliders that are flown today. FREE to the public.
Saturday, June 20 – Kitty Hawk Kites, Manteo, NC
* SUPers unite for this fun stand up paddleboard competition. The race takes paddlers around Roanoke Island Festival Park and out into Shallowbag Bay, providing both a challenging open water paddle and a more protected canal paddle. This course offers multiple distance options and is great for beginners and experts alike.
Wright Kite Festival
Saturday, July 18 – Sunday, July 19 – Wright Brothers Memorial, Kill Devils Hills, NC
* Experience kite flight at the birthplace of aviation. Enjoy large 25-to-100-foot show kites filling the air, free stunt kite lessons, and kite making for the kids. Admission to the Wright Brothers National Memorial is $4 but participation in the kite festival is FREE.
Outer Banks Watermelon Festival
Thursday, July 30 – Jockey’s Ridge Crossing, Nags Head, NC
* Games, music, food, and LOTS of watermelon. What more could you ask for in a summer celebration? Join Kitty Hawk Kites for a summer bash you won’t want to miss. Splash tank, corn hole, toy demos, face painting, and tons of watermelon competitions including seed spitting, watermelon eating, and a watermelon ice cream eating competition just to name a few.
Outer Banks Pirate Festival
Wednesday, Aug. 12 – Friday, Aug. 14 – Jockey’s Ridge Crossing, Nags Head, NC
* Experience a pirate invasion at Jockey’s Ridge Crossing and notable Outer Banks restaurants and attractions, including an outdoor pirate-themed movie courtesy of the Outer Banks Children @ Play Museum. Young mateys will learn the vast history of OBX pirates and participate in Scalawag School to see if they have what it take to be a part of Blackbeards’ Crew.
30th Annual Outer Banks Stunt Kite Competition
Saturday, Sept. 12 – Sunday, Sept. 13 – Outer Banks Event Site, Nags Head, NC
* This regional kite flying competition, organized by the Eastern League Sport Kite Association, features some of the top competitive kite fliers in the nation, as well as a massive display of show kites, stunt and power kite demonstrations and lessons, kite making activities for the kids, and more! FREE to attend.
Kitty Hawk Surf Co. Kayak Fishing Tournament
Saturday, Sept. 19
* Kitty Hawk Surf Company presents the fourth annual Outer Banks Kayak Fishing Tournament, benefitting the North Carolina Coastal Land Trust. A $40 entry fee includes participation in the tournament, a post-event cookout and awards ceremony, and more.
Kite Flying High on the Harbor Kite Festival
Date: Fall TBD – HarborWalk Village and Norriego Point, Destin, FL
This 7th Annual kite festival features large show kites on display high above the Destin Harbor, as well as professional stunt kite flying demonstrations and lessons, and a family fun fly that is perfect for kite enthusiasts of all ages. FREE to attend.
Hangin’ with Santa
Friday, Nov. 27 – Saturday, Nov. 28 – Jockey’s Ridge Crossing, Nags Head, NC
* Stop by Kitty Hawk Kites for your photo with Santa and also enjoy cookies and other assorted holiday treats, including special Black Friday savings! FREE to the public.
Kites with Lights
Saturday, Nov. 28 – Jockey’s Ridge State Park, Nags Head, NC
* Enjoy one of the most spectacular sunsets on the Outer Banks atop Jockey’s Ridge as Kitty Hawk Kites hosts this unique Christmas light show in the sky. In addition, enjoy a puppy light parade with Salty Paws and holiday treats at Kitty Hawk Kites. FREE to the public.
Kitty Hawk Surf Company / BIC SUP One Design Series Paddleboard Events
This FREE stand up paddleboard series offers a fun, family-friendly environment that is great for beginner and experienced paddlers to enjoy. Families are welcome!
Saturday, May 24 – Kitty Hawk Kites, Manteo, NC (Series kick-off event)
Thursday, June 11 – Kitty Hawk Kites, Duck, NC
Thursday, July 23 – Waves Village Watersports Resort, Rodanthe, NC
Thursday, Aug. 6 – Kitty Hawk Kites, Whalebone Junction (Nags Head, NC)
Thursday, Aug. 20 – Sanderling Resort, Duck, NC
Saturday, Sept. 6 – Kitty Hawk Kites, Manteo, NC (Series finale)
Kitty Hawk Kites is pleased to welcome back Kids Days at various Outer Banks store locations. Please check KittyHawk.com in the coming weeks for additional details.
Sponsors and Partners
Kitty Hawk Kites would like to thank several partners for their continuous support of these events, including: Kitty Hawk Surf Company, Life is Good Genuine Neighborhood Shoppes, Max Radio of the Carolinas, OBXSurfInfo.com, and OBX.com.
For event sponsorship opportunities, please contact Janet Chesson, Kitty Hawk Kites Event Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 252.441.1719 x206.
About Kitty Hawk Kites
Kitty Hawk Kites celebrates its 40th anniversary as the largest hang gliding school in the world, boasting an alumni list of over 400,000 students. In addition to hang gliding, Kitty Hawk Kites offers more than 20 other outdoor activities ranging from kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, kiteboarding, paragliding, and parasailing to surf lessons, jet skis, sunset sails, dolphin tours, and wild horse tours – truly the Outer Banks’ leader in adventure and recreation.
Kitty Hawk Kites’ retail operations have also experienced quite the upward trajectory from its original home in Nags Head, expanding to over a dozen locations on the Outer Banks, as well as two stores on the Emerald Coast of Florida (Destin and Fort Walton Beach) and a location in Virginia Beach. A growing e-commerce operation, a number of Life Is Good Genuine Neighborhood Shoppes on the Outer Banks and New England, a world-class watersports resort in Rodanthe, a Flight Park in New Hampshire, and several Kitty Hawk Surf Company stores round out the company’s growing portfolio.